During the summer, some eligible employees may participate in a voluntary flex time work week. Employees choosing to participate in a flex work week will work four (4) days each week, (10) hours each day. Participation in this work schedule shall be voluntary and contingent on the approval of your supervisor.
Given the ease of updating work schedules in EMPowerSF, employees who wish to work a flex work week no longer have to complete a request form. Instead, they can work with their supervisor who can update work schedules in EMPowerSF. If you are new to updating schedules, read the below article first:
The work schedule that is defaulted in the timesheet in EMPowerSF is informed by their FTE and distributed equally across the 5 working days. If an employee requests to have a Summer Flex Schedule, managers/timekeepers can edit the schedule below the employee's timesheet to reflect their working days.
- Log into EMPowerSF and click Time & Attendance
- Select Edit Employee Time and select the name of the employee requesting Flex Time.
- If doing this process ahead of time, go to the timesheet/s impacted (you will have to do this 3-4 times for each bi-weekly timesheet in the summer).
- Scroll down to the Schedule tab below each timesheet:
- Redistribute the hours as requested by the employee. For example, for a 1.0 FTE working 40 hours per week, you can leave Friday dates as 0.00 if the other work days are 10.00 hours.
Frequently Asked Questions:
- Do I have to do this for Classified Management (auto-populating timesheets)? No. Please work out the flex days of managers outside of EMPowerSF (i.e. Google Calendar, etc.)
- Is it possible to do this for several employees at once, or does a supervisor have to manually make this change for everyone they supervise who is getting flex time?
- You must do this for each employee's timesheet and for each pay period. There are three pay periods that span the Summer Flex weeks.
- How far out in advance can a supervisor make this change? Do they have to do it for every week the employee flexes?
- You can do it as far out in advance, as soon as you approve.
- Is there any way for an employee to set this up for themselves?
- No; only those with timekeeper/manager privileges.
- If a supervisor has planned time off over the summer, can they delegate this ability to other folks?
- Yes, their timekeeper or their back-up manager (or whoever will be approving timesheets for the summer.)