Staff Development Days for Certificated Staff and Administrators
Staff Development Days are mandatory professional development days for certificated staff and administrators. Because these dates are pre-determined to be the first (3) three days of the school year for educators, each Staff Development Day has an auto-populated pay code on the timesheet:
- If you are working on this day, no action is needed from you.
- If you are not working on this day, the UESF contract 126.96.36.199 outlines the limitations of requesting time off on staff development days:
The only paid absence provisions of staff development days that will be available to TK-12 teachers on the three (3) days of staff development buy-back shall be bereavement and jury duty/court appearance. For an illness absence on said three (3) days, the TK-12 teacher shall be required to provide a physician's verification of the illness in order to receive salary payment; personal necessity leave shall not be available on said three (3) days of staff development.
A red level exception message will appear when you request time off or a manager/timekeeper enters time off on your timesheet. For example, on this timesheet, Bereavement Leave was directly entered on 8/10 for 7.00 hours. Once you save it, there will be a red level exception message that will appear at the bottom:
- The manager/timekeeper must check the box to Acknowledge this time off. This is an extra step that applies to Staff Development Days due to its mandatory nature. Once it is acknowledged, the exception message will no longer be red and will say, "Approved".
- The same steps apply for Sick Leave and Jury Duty but with additional documentation required. Other leave types will not be allowed for these dates.
Staff Development Days for Paraeducators
The UESF Classified contract 9.2.3 outlines provisions for one (1) District Professional Development Day for paraeducators. This day has to fall prior to the start of the instructional year and can be applied to any of the pre-service institutes (i.e. Para Institute or Digital District Day) or professional development hosted by your division (i.e. Early Ed).
- If you are using your one (1) PD day to get compensated for attending PD prior to your scheduled start, you must communicate this to your supervisor so that they, or your timekeeper, can directly add Staff Development Day into your timesheet.
- If you are a supervisor or timekeeper adding Staff Development Day to a paraeducator: you must click Acknowledge then click Save to get rid of the red level error. If Staff Development Day has a red level error, it will not be paid.
- If you are not working, no action is needed from you.
To view the rest of the timesheet actions, please visit Time & Attendance Guide.