Employees should use the IRS site www.irs.gov/W4App to assist in filling out the W-4 information first. The site is to help the EE in How to fill out the forms in order to not owe, or break-even or get a credit at the end of the year maybe. When you’re ready, log into EMPowerSF and enter the information from the IRS website.
To update your W-4 (Federal Employee’s Withholding Certificate) or your DE4 (California Withholding Allowance Certificate) information in EMPowerSF, access the EMPowerSF system using your SFUSD login credentials. Once you are logged in, the home screen landing page will populate.
- Select My Employee File from the homepage dropdown menu:
- Select the Payment Information tab from the header. Scroll down to the Payroll Information section, and click on W4 Self Service to enter.
- Select from the following:
- Withholding Elections - to review your current entries and status
- Forms - to enter or update your tax forms (either Federal or California)
- Withholding Elections - click on ‘$’ icon and a pop-up will display your current withholding elections
- FORMS - click the ‘Forms’ icon to enter the data entry page
- FORMS WIZARD - this will begin the entry/update process and will take you through the FEDERAL and CALIFORNIA pages
- Select Individual Forms - you bypass the FORM WIZARD and select individually the FEDERAL or the CALIFORNIA forms
- FEDERAL - W-4 Update
The Federal W-4 Employee’s Withholding Certificate data entry form will open. Fill out the form (if selecting for the first time) or update all the mandatory fields. You can use the ‘View Instructions and Worksheets’ link to open a PDF of the IRS W-4 form with instructions for reference.
- Click submit at the end of the form.